Developed for our wedding, a Classy Librarian is a variation on the Bride’s beloved Manhattan cocktail, made with Lillet blanc and a bit of sour cherry vodka instead of the sweet vermouth. For the bourbon we’re using New Holland’s Beer Barrel Bourbon from Michigan, where the Bride was born and went to grad school, and where we live now. And the bitters are Bittercube’s Bolivar bitters, which are made in Wisconsin, where she grew up.
- 2 oz. New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon
- 3/4 oz. Lillet Blanc
- 1/4 oz. Sour Cherry vodka
- 1 dash Bittercube Bolivar Bitters
- Cherry Garnish
Combine the Bourbon, Lillet, Sour Cherry vodka, and bitters in a shaker full of ice, and shake until well chilled. Pour into your preferred glassware, and add the cherry. Ice optional.
- For a more refreshing, summery drink, try reposado tequila instead of bourbon (we like the Sauza 100% blue agave reposado).
- For a sharper, grainier flavor, try white whiskey instead of bourbon (we like Few).
- For a darker, heavier take, try Averna instead of the Lillet and cherry vodka. With this variant, an orange twist could replace the cherry.